The University recognizes that some UMBC community members may be most comfortable disclosing information about an incident of Prohibited Conduct to someone they know. Many University employees have been designated as Responsible Employees.
A Responsible Employee is defined as including any UMBC community member who (1) has the authority to take action regarding Prohibited Conduct covered under this Policy; (2) is an employee who has been given the duty of reporting/referring Prohibited Conduct under this Policy; or (3) is someone another UMBC community member could reasonably believe has this authority or duty. Any employee who is not a confidential or quasi confidential employee is a responsible employee.
Responsible Employees are Non-Confidential which means they will safeguard the UMBC community member’s privacy, however they are required to immediately share the known details of an incident of Prohibited Conduct (date, time, location, names of parties involved, description of the incident, etc.), to the Title IX Coordinator via the confidential online reporting/ referral form and other need-to-know University officials. Responsible Employees will try to ensure that any UMBC community member making a disclosure to a Responsible Employee, understands the Responsible Employee’s reporting/referral obligations.
Those identified below have been designated as Responsible Employees:
• Title IX Coordinator
• All Title IX Team Members
• All employees in the Office of Equity and Inclusion
• All employees in Human Resources
• All employees in the Office of the General Counsel
• All employees in the Office of Accessibility and Resources
• All University Police employees
• All UMBC Administrators (President, Provost, Vice Presidents, Vice Provosts, Deans, Associate Deans, Directors, Department Chairs)
• All UMBC Supervisors (excluding Supervisory Confidential Resources)
• All UMBC Faculty (including Adjunct and Part-time)
• All UMBC Graduate Assistants
• All UMBC Academic Advisors
• All UMBC Athletic Coaches (including Volunteer Coaches) and Advisors
• All UMBC Resident Assistants in residential housing
• All UMBC First Responders (excluding First Responders who are Confidential Resources)
If you are not sure if you are a Responsible Employee, please email OEI@umbc.edu.