One of OEI’s goals is to serve as a central hub to support UMBC’s commitment to inclusive excellence, including UMBC’s work to dismantle structural racism on campus and disrupting sexual misconduct and gender-based discrimination. If you have a resource or an event that you would like us to help promote on this page, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. OEI’s work is supported by the Inclusion Council. This group of students, faculty, staff, and alumni is currently working to identify short- and long-term goals and recommendations to advance inclusive excellence and racial justice across the university. The Council represents most of the colleges and divisions and also works and meets regularly with the University Steering Committee.
Support and Resources
- USM Chancellor Jay A. Perman issues statement on the Derek Chauvin verdict.
- Our Colleagues in Initiatives for Identity, Inclusion & Belonging (i3b) share Taking a Moment to Pause and Breathe: Processing What Has Happened So Far in 2021 which also offers office hours if you need conversation or support.
- University Health Services & Health Promotion offers advice on how to Take Care When Tuning In
Our Community knows that social justice work is emotionally challenging, particularly to communities of color, those affected by systemic inequity, and those that have suffered trauma. We want to make sure all in our community know where to go for support and resources. You can also always reach out to OEI staff.
Support for Students
Faculty and Staff Support and Care
Additional Support Resources
- Counseling Center Helping Students in Distress: A Faculty/Staff Guide
- UMBC Faculty and Staff Student Disruptive Behavior Guide
Materials from OEI
As divisions and departments across UMBC move forward with their own work to combat racism, sexual misconduct and gender-based discrimination, OEI offers these resources:
- Showing up for Black Lives in UMBC Communities
- Guidance on making statements in support of Black community members
- Self-Service Social Identifiers Selection Process